Authorities say that seven children were inside an Oroville home when a butane hash oil (BHO) lab exploded Tuesday night. The house fire and explosion happened at a home on the 5300 block of Walmer Road in Oroville in Butte County around 8 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities found evidence consistent with the operation of a butane hash oil lab inside one of the home’s bathrooms. Isaiah Rutherford, 28, was found near the explosion and determined to be running the lab. Four other adults and seven children were in the house and were uninjured in the explosion.
The children, ages two through 12, were turned over to social services. Rutherford suffered major burns and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. No arrests have been made.
Last December a 30-year-old man and two teens were seriously injured in hash oil explosion in Oroville around Thanksgiving time last year. The injuries were very serious, but everyone survived. Oroville is in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada.
In 2014, Butane Hash Oil (BHO) labs killed 32 people in California, including one child. Hash oil is made from marijuana, then added to edibles, sold illegally and “dabbed.” It brings a very potent high that lasts an entire day.
On August 7, Governor Brown signed SB 212, a bill that will reclassify the crime of operating a BHO and methamphetamine lab as aggravated felony. California typically averages one hash oil explosion every week. They are more common in winter.Stop Pot is a non-partisan grassroots campaign started by citizens concerned about the damaging health effects, both physical and mental, of marijuana. We are also concerned about the impact of marijuana on the environment.